Tuesday, July 15, 2008

7/25 Our day by the sea

Jen and Layne reunited at the Clamdigger - July 2008

On Wednesday, July the 9th, we had one of those days that I will always remember. I wish I could have captured it as a treasure to give to my daughter. The day is gone but we have the memories and a few pictures. Let me share it with you.

We were at the beach in North Carolina visiting my parents. We made arrangements to meet a family whose daughter was with Jen in Zhuhai. Back in the summer of 2007, we met her parents through the Internet. Their daughter knew Jen well and we shared the long months of waiting for news about the status of our adoptions. Since they lived so close to where I grew up, we looked forward to meeting them some day. Their daughter came home soon after Jen and the girls exchanged a few phone calls since arriving in America. When we planned to meet their family at the beach, I didn't know what to expect. I thought the girls might be indifferent -- it was hard to know. I hoped the families would just be glad to meet and enjoy the mutual encouragement.

What we got was 9 hours of fun and the girls were virtually inseparable. The Cantonese began to roll and never stopped until the last goodbye. Steve and Sue were kind and we enjoyed picking their brain about their experiences so far and learning from their years of parenting. We shared a funny moment at lunch when talking about the girls sharing chicken with each other (or maybe not!) Chicken is a prized possession (as well as that other dear food -- watermelon) and when it came to sharing we laughed at the prospect of either one surrendering a piece to the other. After all, there is "sharing" and then there is "you have got to be kidding" (as in "you'll have to pry this piece of chicken from my cold, dead fingers").

The mid-day was spent boogie boarding in the rough surf followed by a swim in the pool and hot tub. After lunch, we started out for a nice walk on the beautiful beach. The girls began to wade in the surf and found lots of mole crabs at the water's edge. They began racing back and forth to the surf to scoop up these little creatures and put them in a bucket. Layne earned the title of "crabinator" for her uncanny ability to catch dozens. Eventually, all the little mole crabs made it back to the sea and we continued on our walk until sundown.

Molly, Layne and Jen having a ball

As we walked, Jen and Layne relived times from their life in Zhuhai. A little singing and a little dancing and a little walking hand in hand. For a few hours, life in America faded to the background and they were somewhere back in China reminiscing about the life they left behind.

Layne and Jen along the shores of North Carolina - July 2008


As I stood on the beach and watched the girls play, I could hear in my mind the beautiful music from "Pride and Prejuidice". A friend let us borrow the movie for vacation and I watched it about 3 times that week. Over and over again, the music wafted around in my head -- adding to the beauty of the scene before me. The notes of the piano were now being accompanied by the sea, the wind and the waves. My heart was full to overflowing. I was grateful to be there.

Layne and Jen -- two Cantonese peas from the same pod

As the sun faded away, I took a few shots as they showed off a dance routine. The camera flashed as two Cantonese girls giggled and wiggled and sang. Before long, the moment was over and after goodbyes and farewells, we drove away into the night. The day was gone but we have the memories to cherish for a long time.

No comments: