Tuesday, August 12, 2008

8/12 For Jen

At night when sleep has flown from me
I rise to walk beside the sea
And think about the days to come
Of how to spend them til they're done

One night and not so long ago
While gazing down and stepping slow
I happened on a starfish rare
Among some shells -- and resting there

For long had been its travels sore
Cast up on this far distant shore
From crashing seas it came to rest
Just footsteps from my door

The ebbing tide had slipped behind
And left it there amidst the brine
Its arms outstretched beneath the stars
Which glimmered far above

Then stooped did I to view the star
With markings strange and from afar
This one that gleamed as I walked past
Bore an Oriental cast

I could not leave this little star
That rode the waves and travelled far
To rest on this forgotten bar
Just beneath my feet

And thinking of the tank at home
Which sat all empty and alone
I clutched it up unto my chest
And raced into the night

The life which ebbed has now returned
Inside my tank the star does turn
And bends and moves as starfish do
This one with an Oriental hue

At night when sleep has flown from me
I rise to walk beside the sea
And comb the sands beyond my door
Wondering if there will be more...
Waiting there for me

No comments: